Pumpkin Grilled Cheese
Our latest grilled cheese sandwich is stuffed with pumpkin puree, and it’s both season-appropriate and delicious! I know what you’re thinking: you guys have done a lot of grilled cheeses over the years, but pumpkin? PUMPKIN?
YES! I wasn’t sure either, but with some testing and tasting, we’ve created a delicious sandwich that’s perfect for autumn!
The idea came last year. I made some pumpkin soup and made a classic grilled cheese to go along with it. As I was dipping the sandwich in the soup, (and it was delicious) I thought– could we put the pumpkin IN the sandwich?
Pumpkin– Savory, not Sweet
Often we associate pumpkin with sweet recipes. Cookies, cake, muffins, pie. And all of those things are amazing. But pumpkin can be savory too. It’s a winter squash, just like butternut or acorn, and has a fairly blank flavor profile. So by adding savory seasonings and spices, pumpkin can really work in a sandwich.
Start with pumpkin puree. You don’t need much– though that depends on how many sandwiches you’re making. Our recipe says 1/2 cup for two.
Add some dried sage, chili powder, and a little cayenne to the pumpkin. Add a pinch of nutmeg for warmth– don’t skip it, you’ll miss it. Then of course, salt and pepper.
Before you put it in your sandwich, taste the puree to make sure it’s good. Add more of something if you feel that it needs it.
Then spread that pumpkin inside your sandwich!
Honestly, the hardest part of this recipe to wrap my head around was the cheese. What cheese would pair well with pumpkin? We don’t often put those two ingredients together, so — would they work?
Absolutely! We used an aged white cheddar, and it was great. The sharpness of the cheese cuts through the richness of the pumpkin. And don’t forget the most important ingredient: our Fresh Churned Garlic Butter!
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ½ tsp dried sage
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 slices bread
- 2 T Fresh Churned Garlic Butter
- 1 cup grated white cheddar
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together pumpkin, sage, chili powder, cayenne, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Butter bread with Garlic Butter, and place them butter side down on a skillet over medium heat.
- Spread pumpkin mixture on two slices of bread. Divide cheese between the other two slices of bread. Cook until the bread is toasted and cheese is melty, then combine a pumpkin slice with a cheese slice to make 2 sandwiches.
- Serve immediately.