A couple weeks ago I made it out to Disneyland and was inspired to invent my garlic butter Pizza Cone.
When I was little, we always packed a lunch and snacks because it was so expensive feeding our entire family in the park. These past couple of years though, it has been me, my wife, and my mother (who turns into a little kid when we go) and we have taken it upon us to try EVERYTHING food in Disneyland. I have compiled a list that I will slowly add to, but if you want to know what I think the absolutely MUST HAVES for Disneyland are you can go to my list here: Top 10 Must Have Foods in Disneyland.
This past trip inspired my twist on their Mac and Cheese Cone found at the Cozy Cone Motel in Cars Land- enter the Pizza Cone.
This thing is an edible cone that lets you hold your food and while you gobble it down, you can gobble down your “bowl” as well. I guess the pizza cone is like an ice cream cone, but with cheese, sausage, garlic butter and more guilt than an ice cream cone. If you want, you can put some Mac and Cheese in it, but I wanted something a little more… meaty. I must warn you though, this recipe does start out with an arts and craft project.
Pizza Cones Cone
I’m not going to put this part in the actual recipe itself, because it’s less about the food and more about making a utensil to make the food. It’s also not super difficult. Here’s the steps to make the cone that you will wrap your dough in:
- Roll a piece of cardstock into a cone shape and tape it to itself. Then bend down the point that sticks up on the larger end so that it’s even with the rest of the paper and makes a cone shape
- Wrap with aluminum foil, make sure to cover all the paper or it will burn when you put it in the oven
That’s it! Like I said, not super complicated. It can be tricky to finesse the paper into the shape you want. If you are wondering how to make the opening of the cone should be, then use the bottom of a cupcake tin as your guide.
Sausage Pizza Cone – Disneyland CopycatCourse: Lunch, Dinner
Pizza Dough (you can make your own or use pre-made from the refrigerated section)
8 oz Sausage
2 cups Cheese
1/2 cup Pizza Sauce
Bell Peppers (optional)
Onions (optional, but recommended)
- Remove top rack and put rack on very bottom
- Preheat oven to 400*
- Roll out pizza dough and cut into 2″ strips. Spray cone with cooking spray, then wrap the strips around the cone beginning from the bottom with a slight overlap. Make sure the bottom is completely covered. Keep wrapping until about half way up the cone
- Place cone upside down on an upside-down muffin tin
- Baste with melted Chef Shamy Garlic Butter
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until dark golden brown
- Cook sausage, then add the bell peppers and onions and cook until tender. Then add pizza sauce, pepperoni, and cheese. Mix well.
- Spoon pizza mixture into the cone and it’s ready! You can top with more cheese if you’d like.
- If the points of the cones are cooking too fast, you can cover them with foil as you finish the rest of the bake.
Get a Free Cookbook and receive regular updates about Chef Shamy Butter!