It’s apple season! And that means apple pie. The sweet tartness of the apples, a crumbly, delicious crust– that’s what apple pie is all about. We’ve made apple pie before– see here. But we’ve never made it like this before!
Cinnamon Apple Pie Cups is pie without the fuss. We simplify things by using store bought crust, doing away with a top crust altogether, and reducing the baking time! It’s easier without sacrificing that classic apple flavor.
There’s a lot of discussion about the best apples to use for baking. There are so many varieties it can be overwhelming. According to the internet (which is always correct), the best apples include Jonagold, Honeycrisp, and Pink Lady. While I believe that, I can’t find Jonagold at my grocery store and Honeycrisps are perpetually $3.99 a pound.
So, we used Granny Smith. They hold up texturally, and the tartness means more flavor (more sugars released) when cooked. Feel free to use whatever apple you like. What matters more is what you do to them.
Peel, core, and dice those apples, and throw them in a skillet with some of our Fresh Churned Cinnamon Honey Butter. The apples soften in the sweet cinnamon flavor– it’s so delicious! Add a little lemon juice and an extra sprinkle of brown sugar, and you have the perfect apple pie filling!
Our recipe calls for store-bought crust– it saves time. If you have a treasured family recipe, or you like making pastry, feel free to make your own. Roll those crusts out and use a round cookie cutter (we used a mason jar lid) to cut out circles. Press them into a greased muffin tin. Make sure to poke a few holes with a fork in the bottom so it doesn’t bubble.
Spoon your delicious apple filling into these crust cups, and bake!
Once they’re out of the oven, top with some caramel sauce, whipped cream, and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Apple pie just got so much easier! Enjoy!
- 2 pre-made, ready to roll pie crusts
- 3 T Fresh Churned Cinnamon Honey Butter
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored and diced into ¼ inch cubes
- 2 T brown sugar
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- Caramel sauce, for topping
- Whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- First, make the apple filling. Melt Cinnamon Honey Butter in a pan or skillet over medium heat. Add diced apples, brown sugar, and lemon juice. Stir to combine, coating the apples with butter. Cook 5-10 minutes, or until apples are soft.
- Meanwhile, roll out the pie crusts on a lightly floured surface. Use a round cookie cutter or mason jar lid to cut circles in the dough. You need 12. Press each round into the well of a greased muffin tin. Use a fork to poke a few holes in the bottom of each cup.
- Divide apple mixture evenly between the 12 crust cups. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and done.
- Allow to cool 10 minutes, then use a knife to lift each cup out of the tin.
- Serve with caramel sauce, whipped cream, and a sprinkle of cinnamon.