We’ve made a lot of muffins at Chef Shamy over the years, but none quite as delicious and versatile as our Healthy Oat Zucchini Muffins.
Muffins are a great as a snack, as breakfast on the go, or as a quick lunch! The problem is that many muffins are full of sugar– you might as well be eating a piece of cake.
But when we say healthy, we mean it!
First of all, adding vegetables to any recipe is going to make it more nutritious. And zucchini is really good for you: it’s low calorie and packed full of potassium, vitamin A and vitamin C.
Second, there is no sugar added! That’s right! These zucchini muffins are sweetened with honey. Honey makes sense, because it’s paired with Chef Shamy Cinnamon Brown Sugar Honey Butter. The Cinnamon Butter not only adds a great hint of cinnamon sweetness, but also keeps the muffins soft and moist.
This recipe also calls for whole wheat flour. You might not have any in your pantry, but I suggest getting some. Whole wheat flour can be tricky. Sometimes it can make things taste pretty healthy, if you know what I mean. Like cardboard. So it’s important to have solid flavors as well. This recipe strikes the perfect balance of healthy while still tasting good!
Not only is there whole wheat flour, this recipe calls for oats as well. Oats are famously good for you, and the keep the muffins light.
You already know how important it is to measure correctly when baking. And that can be tricky when working with vegetables. Shred the zucchini, then take a paper towel or cheese cloth and try to squeeze as much moisture out as you can. (This prevents the batter from getting too wet) Then measure your zucchini.
Be careful when measuring the butter as well. Because it’s whipped, it can be hard to measure correctly. Here’s a handy dandy guide to help you.
- 1½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg
- ½ cup honey
- ⅓ cup milk or almond milk
- ⅓ cup Chef Shamy Cinnamon Brown Sugar Honey Butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cup shredded zucchini
- ½ cup oats
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Make a little well in the center. Add egg, honey, milk, and melted Cinnamon Honey Butter into the well and mix until just combined. Don't overmix.
- Add shredded zucchini and oats. Gently fold in.
- Divide mixture evenly between the cups of a greased muffin tin. Bake at 350° for 16-18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to cool, then remove from the pan.
- Serve with additional Cinnamon Honey Butter, if desired.