Healthy Asian Lettuce Wraps are about to become your new favorite!
Lettuce wraps can be absolutely delicious. As long as the filling is well cooked and well seasoned, there’s not much that’s better.
This filling is incredibly tasty, as well as really easy to make! It’s got a simple ingredient list, piled with healthy options. The addition of Chef Shamy Garlic Butter adds a great flavor to the ground turkey, as well as some much needed fat.
This could be a quick weeknight dinner, or an easy, light, lunch! It’s a fun party idea, especially if you let people fill their own lettuce cups!
Lettuce Talk Lettuce
I love puns. Not sorry.
There are several different kinds of lettuce you can use when making a lettuce wrap. This recipe calls from romaine, partly because it works great as a container, and partly because it’s not difficult to find in a store. But use you could green leaf lettuce or butter lettuce.
The important thing is that it’s crisp and can hold the filling. If your filling falls through, you might as well just make a salad.
Lettuce is a great substitute for bread, since it has significantly fewer calories and carbohydrates than bread. Any sandwich can be turned into a lettuce wrap!
But there’s something about an Asian lettuce wrap that works. Because Asian food is typically pretty healthy anyway, it makes sense.
Plus, the rich flavor of the meat pairs perfectly with a bite of fresh, crisp lettuce. It really brightens your palate.
And it’s filling! I had 2 lettuce cups and I was full!
- 2 T Chef Shamy Garlic Butter
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ½ onion,diced
- 2 T fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 cup water chestnuts, diced
- 3 T hoisin sauce
- 1 T soy sauce
- Romaine Lettuce heads
- shredded carrots
- chopped green onions
- roughly chopped peanuts (optional)
- In a large skillet, melt Garlic Butter over medium heat. Add ground turkey. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and cook until browned. Remove turkey from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add sesame oil over medium heat. Add onion and ginger, and saute until soft. Then add meat back into the pan, along with the water chestnuts.
- Add hoisin sauce and soy sauce and stir to combine. Cook together for 4-5 minutes.
- Serve 2-3 T of meat in a romaine lettuce head. Top with carrot, green onion, and peanuts.