Potato salad is a classic American side dish, a must-have during the summer! It’s so comforting and delicious next to a slab of grilled meat. As a kid, I remember we always had potato salad for our summer barbecues, including Labor Day.
But this recipe is different than many of the ones you might have had. First of all– no mayo! Most potato salads are loaded with mayonnaise, making them creamy and heavy. But not this one! It’s simple and fresh– not heavy at all.
The first major difference is how the potatoes are cooked. Grilling them adds SO much flavor to an ingredient that’s historically bland. There’s a smokiness that comes through–which is delicious.
Grilling the potatoes also adds a textural difference as well. The potatoes stay on the grill until they’re cooked, which is usually 15-20 minutes. That gives plenty of time for the potato skin to get a little crispy! It adds a fun extra element to the salad.
Once the potatoes are grilled, you’ll have to allow them to cool enough to cut them. But you don’t want them to cool all the way! The reason is simple: We’re using our Fresh Churned Garlic Butter to add a delicious garlic flavor. But the potatoes need to be warm enough to melt the butter.
Besides the Garlic Butter, we’re using some simple flavors that pack and punch. We add fresh parsley, fresh basil, and dried rosemary. We also put in a little apple cider vinegar, for a dash of acidity. And of course, salt and pepper– the essential ingredients when you’re dealing with potatoes!
- 2 lbs red potatoes
- 6 T Fresh Churned Garlic Butter
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 T fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 T fresh basil, chopped
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Over medium heat, grill the potatoes until fork tender, flipping occasionally.
- Allow the potatoes to cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bite size pieces (usually quarters), and place in a bowl.
- Add Garlic Butter and stir, allowing butter to melt and coat potatoes. Add apple cide vinegar, parsley, basil, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine.
- Serve immediately.