Is there anything better than a warm and delicious bowl of soup on a cold winter’s day? There’s something about it that’s just so comforting!
One of my absolute all time favorite soups is Broccoli Cheese Soup. So we thought we’d pimp it up a bit by using Chef Shamy Garlic Butter for some extra flavor! And extra flavor it provides!
Using our Fresh Churned Garlic Butter as a base for any soup is a smart move. Saute your onions in Garlic Butter, and they’ll hang on to all that delicious flavor and disperse it throughout all of the other ingredients.
Once you’ve sautéed the onions and carrots in Garlic Butter, sprinkle in a little flour. Then add milk, cream, and broccoli florets. As it cooks slowly, it will thicken, thanks to the flour.
The broccoli florets can be however big or small you want them. I like to have nice pieces of broccoli in there– otherwise it feels too much like a cream of broccoli soup to me. But you definitely don’t want anything bigger than bite size.
As the soup thickens and simmers, the broccoli will cook. It should only take about 15-20 minutes. Don’t let it go too long, or the broccoli will become overcooked, mushy, and gross.
Also, don’t forget salt and pepper at this stage! And our secret ingredient: a pinch of nutmeg. It adds a kick of warmth and spice that lifts all the other ingredients up.
Once you’ve let the soup simmer and thicken, it’s done! Just add some shredded cheddar cheese and let it melt into the creaminess. The recipe calls for 3 cups, but let’s be honest: there’s no such thing as too much cheese!
Scoop it into a bowl, add a sprinkle more cheese on top, and dig in! It will be the best Broccoli Cheese Soup you’ve ever had.
Don’t forget some Garlic Bread for dipping!
- ½ cup Chef Shamy Parmesan Basil Garlic Butter
- 1 whole onion, Diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- ⅓ cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy Cream
- 4 heads broccoli florets
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, melt Garlic Butter over medium heat. Add onion and carrot and saute until tender.
- Add flour, stirring around. Cook for 1 minute, then slowly whisk in milk and cream. Add nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Then add broccoli.
- Cover and simmer until broccoli is tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add cheese and allow to melt.
- Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve warm with Chef Shamy Garlic Bread!