Apples Roses are a fun dessert and well worth the effort to make! And when you use our Fresh Churned Cinnamon Honey Butter to make them, they taste even more delicious!
When you roll up apple slices, they look like rose petals. It looks fancy without actually doing anything fancy, which is my favorite kind of fancy. This recipe is perfect for Valentine’s Day, a holiday party, or a weekend treat!
Let’s talk through the process.
I’ve got to be honest, I have a soft spot for puff pastry. It’s delicious, flaky, buttery, and can be bought in the store. That last one is the real kicker, though. Puff is a notoriously difficult pastry to make; it’s time consuming at the very least. So make your own if you want, but I usually buy mine in a pack. I find tit in the freezer section of my grocery store, next to the frozen baked goods.
That’s how this recipe starts: with puff pastry.
The pastry needs to be thawed (but still cold) in order to work with it. I usually just take it out of the freezer and put it in the fridge the night before. There are two sheets in a package. Unfold the sheets. You can roll it out a little thinner if you want, but you don’t need to. Take a pizza cutter and cut each sheet into 6 equal strips.
So, it doesn’t really matter what type of apples you use. We bought whichever was on sale. What matters is that the apples are sliced thin. You could use a mandolin, or a very sharp knife.
Microwaving the apples is another important step. The apples have to be soft enough to roll, otherwise the roses will look broken and sad. Stick them in the microwave until they’re soft enough to be rolled up in the puff pastry.
Lay a couple slices down, then roll it up.
Put it in a muffin tin, and brush the top with Cinnamon Butter.
Bake! Some of them will look prettier than others, don’t worry.
See? Not hard at all!
Puff Pastry Cinnamon Apple RosesCourse: Dessert, Sweets
3 large apples
2 T lemon juice
½ cup Chef Shamy Cinnamon Honey Butter, melted
2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Use a mandolin to slice apple very thinly. Place sliced apple in a microwave safe bowl with lemon juice. Toss to combine. Microwave 5 minutes until apples are soft, and can bend without breaking.
- Roll puff pastry out onto a lightly floured surface. Cut into six equal strips.
- Lay 4-5 apple slices on a strip of pastry, then roll up. Place into a heavily greased muffin tin well. Brush with melted Cinnamon Butter.
- Repeat with remaining strips and additional sheet of puff pastry.
- Bake at 375° F for 40-45 minutes, or until pastry is crisp. You may need to cover with foil to prevent apples from burning.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then gently use a knife to get roses out of the tin.
- Serve, with ice cream if desired.
Get a Free Cookbook and receive regular updates about Chef Shamy Butter!