Garlic Bread: An Italian Delight
The combination of tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil isn’t a new thing– it’s been around for a long time. It’s an authentic Italian combination. Those three colors (red, green, and white) are the colors of the Italian flag. So it makes sense that it would be such a good pair with another Italian staple: Garlic Bread.
Fresh and Simple
Garlic Bread is one of those simple things that just make me happy– especially when it’s done right. And you know that with Chef Shamy Parmesan Basil Garlic Butter, it is. In this dish, we’ve added four simple ingredients: fresh slices of tomatoes, fresh mozzarella cheese, fresh basil leaves, and a beautiful drizzle of balsamic vinegar. Notice the word that I’ve now used probably too many times, including in the title: fresh.
But here’s the thing. This Caprese Garlic Bread is a perfect appetizer because it’s light, reFRESHing (Hah!), and delicious. I made these, and seriously, they were gone before I turned around.
Garlic Bread and the Best Ingredients
Here’s a couple notes about the ingredients themselves. I say that it’s worth it to buy the fresh mozzarella. You can find it in the cheese aisle of most grocery stores. The fresh mozzarella will be a couple dollars more than the regular, but there’s something about the taste and texture of it that makes it worth it.
I also say that it’s important to get a solid loaf of bread. Make sure that you don’t broil it for too long once you’ve painted the Garlic Butter on. The instructions say 45 seconds, and I’m not kidding around. It doesn’t take long.
And for good measure, here’s a wonderful article about Balsamic Vinegar. It brings such a need pop of acid to the party.
- 5 oz Chef Shamy Parmesan Basil Garlic Butter
- Loaf of bread (French or Italian)
- 16 oz Fresh Mozzarella
- Fresh Basil
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Preheat oven to Broil
- Slice loaf of bread into ¼ inch slices
- Slice cheese into ⅛ inch slices (or buy pre-sliced for consistency)
- Spread room temperature Chef Shamy Garlic Butter on bread- make sure to go from edge to edge
- Place on baking sheet and broil until golden brown (about 45 seconds)
- Remove from oven and place cheese on top, the top with one basil leaf per slice
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar