Red White & Blue!
Kaleidoscopic fire in the air, drinking water straight from the hose, slip ‘n slides, and sun for days. It’s is one of the best times of the year! And since I’ve been on this berry kick lately, I’m in the mood to share with you a Shamy tradition: English Dessert Trifle! Now there are many different ingredients you can use in a trifle (and I have my eyes on a hazelnut chocolate one- stay tuned), but it’s the time of year where red, white, and blue reign.
When trifle’s come to mind, I’m always reminded about the time Rachel on Friends tried her hand at one.
So we’ll be making a full English Trifle- hold the Shepherd’s Pie.
Trifles are all about design, so be as creative as you want. The one we did for you today was done by Chef Shamy himself! Layer it as carefully or haphazardly as you want. This will be the easy version of this recipe because we’ll be using some “instant” items. I would say the hardest part about this recipe is that you have to have a trifle dish. They’re not hard to find, but you’ll want something you can see your designs through. I even have some mini trifle dishes on hand for individual servings!
- ½ lb Angel Food Cake
- 2 Large Boxes Instant Flavored Gelatin - 2 colors (Red & Blue)
- 1 Large Box Instant Pudding (White)
- 2 C milk
- 1½ C Strawberries
- 1½ C Blueberries
- 1 C grapes
- 2 Bananas
- 1 Pint Heavy Cream whipped with ½ C sugar
- Put a sauce pan of water on to boil, cube sponge cake and layer on the bottom of a trifle dish.
- Mix a box of Red Gelatin using the quick set instructions. By using less water and increasing the ice by 30% the layers will hold together better when serving and it will set even faster, cutting down on the time to complete the trifle. After the ice has melted, pour over the layer of sponge cake. Place in refrigerator while cutting bananas and strawberries.
- Place bananas in the middle of the trifle dish, then mix the milk with the white pudding (again, use less water in the recipe on the box for firmness and a quicker set). Pour the pudding evenly as your next layer. Place grapes in the center (don't let these touch the edge!) and a layer of blueberries and then repeat above directions for the blue box of jello.
- Then, place the strawberries around the top of the trifle so they are touching the glass. The very top layer will be whipped cream. Then, decorate with the remainder of your fruits. Save some of the whip cream for the individual servings. Refrigerate until served.