Have you had a berry parfait before?
Traditionally, a parfait (pronounced par-fay) is a dessert of alternating layers of fruit and cream. Kind of like a trifle, without the cake. In America, parfaits have been modified to a breakfast treat by using yogurt instead of cream or mousse.
I love parfaits! They’re easy, healthy, and if you do them right, taste delicious! It’s fun to be creative with them, especially during the summer when a lot of fresh fruits are in season.
A classic yogurt and berry parfait would use granola as a way to break up the layers and add a crunch. We’ve simplified things a little bit by toasting oats in Chef Shamy Cinnamon Honey Butter. It still gives a great crunch, and adds a great sweet cinnamon flavor.
If you really want to use granola, try this recipe!
Toasting oats is pretty simple. Feel free to leave them in the oven a few extra minutes if you really want them to have an extra crunch! Just remember that they’ll crisp up a little more when they’re cooling.
Here are a couple suggestions:
- Many good things can be said about using Greek yogurt– it’s better for you. But beware of the flavor. Plain Greek yogurt is very plain. I prefer vanilla or honey.
- If you’re not a yogurt person, use a little whipped cream or even ice cream if you’re feeling adventurous.
- The choice of berries is up to you. Use whatever’s in season!
- It’s fun to see the different layers! Use a tall glass or mason jar so your parfait is as visually pleasing as it is delicious!
Cinnamon Toasted Berry ParfaitCourse: Dessert, Sweets
2 cups oats
1 cup fresh strawberries, cut into small pieces
½ cup fresh blueberries
1 cup plain or vanilla Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine oats and room temperature Cinnamon Butter, until all the oats are coated evenly with the butter.
- Spread oats evenly over a sheet pan and bake at 400° for 10-15 minutes, or until crisp.
- In a mason jar or tall glass, start assembling your parfait.
- Layer the bottom with a few strawberries.
- Then add a couple tablespoons of yogurt.
- Then add some blueberries.
- Next, sprinkle some of the cinnamon oats on top.
- Repeat layers until your glass is full.