Granola gets a bad wrap. We use the word to describe people who make their own deodorant (or wear none) and wash their hair with baking soda. And yeah, while it is healthy, don’t let anyone fool you. Good granola is one of the best things in the world.
My first experience with granola was actually my mom’s homemade version. I liked it; I wouldn’t eat the stuff from the grocery store because I didn’t like raisins, and that was the only type of granola they had.
I’ve since found granola at the grocery store that I like (without raisins). But at the same time, why buy it? It’s so easy to make, and probably you’ll have everything you already need in your pantry. The only thing I had to buy was almonds.
Speaking of almonds, let’s talk ingredients. I always say that your food will only be as good as the ingredients you use. This recipe only uses 7 ingredients: Oats, almonds, cinnamon, salt, honey, brown sugar, and Chef Shamy Vanilla Bean Honey Butter.
Nothing outrageous. No wheat germ or grass clippings or some other weird health food. Simple, clean ingredients.
Obviously, we need to talk about Chef Shamy Vanilla Bean Honey Butter. It gives this granola such an amazing flavor. The vanilla combined with the brown sugar and honey gives a light, slightly sweet taste. Vanilla Bean Honey Butter is flavored with vanilla beans, which always lends a better flavor than vanilla extract.
The amount of sugar in here is so small, you shouldn’t feel guilty about eating a bowl (or 5). And that’s the way granola should be!
Homemade Vanilla Almond GranolaCourse: Breakfast, Snacks
3 cups oats
1 ½ cups sliced almonds
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp salt
¼ cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 300° F
- In a medium bowl, toss together oats, almonds, cinnamon and salt
- In a small saucepan, combine Vanilla Bean Butter, brown sugar, and honey. Bring the mixture to simmer. Keep going just until the sugar is dissolved. Don’t allow the mixture to boil.
- Pour butter mixture into oats and almonds mixture and stir until fully combined
- Spread granola onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper or Silpat
- Bake at 300° F for 25-35 minutes or until golden brown. Granola will crisp up a little more once out of the oven
Get a Free Cookbook and receive regular updates about Chef Shamy Butter!