Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
It’s asparagus season! Early spring is a great time to find asparagus in your grocery store for cheap. Not only will they be affordable, they’ll be thick, hearty stalks. I love asparagus– and our Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Bundles might be my favorite way to eat them! It’s any easy side dish or appetizer, one that even your keto friends will like!
Let talk through this easy recipe.
Make sure to prep your asparagus by snapping off the woody ends. If you do each one individually, each end will naturally snap off at the right place. But if you want to do them all at once, use a knife to cut off the bottom couple of inches.
Lay the asparagus out and lightly brush them with some of our Fresh Churned Garlic Butter. Then bundle them into threes and wrap each bundle with a piece of bacon. Bake, and voila! Done!
Top with some Parmesan cheese when they’re out of the oven– it adds that sharp flavor to cut through the bacon fat.
While this is an easy recipe, there are a couple of tips we recommend that will help it go better for you.
First, use thinly sliced bacon. Any other time, we would recommend a nice thick cut, but not here. A thinner piece of bacon will cook faster, getting crisp without overcooking the asparagus.
Second, bring the bacon to room temperature and keep the asparagus in the fridge before wrapping them. Again, this has to do with making sure both ingredients are cooked properly without one or other being over or under cooked.
Third, and this one is more nit-picky– know which end of your oven is hotter. Our oven in warmer in the back, which is common. So we kept the heads of the asparagus in the front– because the heads cook quicker than the ends.
This one is good– enjoy!
- 2 lb asparagus cleaned, woody ends removed
- 2 T Fresh Churned Garlic Butter, melted
- 1 lb thinly sliced bacon
- ½ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Brush the asparagus spears lightly with melted Garlic Butter.
- Bundle the asparagus in three's. Wrap a slice of bacon around the stems.
- Repeat until all of the asparagus and bacon slices have been used.
- Place into the oven and bake 20-25 minutes, depending on how thick the asparagus is, turning halfway through cooking.
- Increase oven temperature to broil and cook an additional 3 minutes to crisp up the bacon.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes. Salt and pepper, to taste.
Also, wrap the asparagus straight out of the refrigerator. It will help the asparagus cook slower.
Also, our oven is hotter at the back, so made sure the heads were in the front of the oven on the pan.