On a cold winter’s day, few things are better than a bowl of delicious soup. Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup is definitely comfort food– it’s creamy, tasty, and easy to make!
I’m a fan of soups that can be prepared quickly. I appreciate the development of flavors that happens when you’re simmering for a couple of hours. But I rarely have a couple of hours for simmering. In fact, I never have that much time! So I love a recipe that comes together in less than half an hour. And this one does!
The key to a good meal is using good ingredients. And just because it’s winter doesn’t mean we can’t use fresh ingredients. This recipe calls for onions, celery, carrots, and mushrooms. All of these are good for you, have lots of flavor, and (most important) available and inexpensive during the winter! Saute all these veggies in Chef Shamy Garlic Butter, and you’ve got an amazing base to your meal!
Garlic Butter infuses a lot of flavor into vegetables, especially onions. Use it in all your soups!
We had some leftover rotisserie chicken, so that’s what we put in. You can do the same, or cook up some chicken breasts: whatever you have. Use chunks, or shredded, whichever is your preference.
Wild rice is easy to find in your local grocery store. As the rice cooks, the soup simmers and thickens– it only takes 15 to 20 minutes. Wild rice is good for you and has a unique flavor that keeps the soup from being too rich and heavy.
To Dip or Not to Dip?
For me, soup isn’t complete without some bread to dip it in. Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup lends itself well to dipping!
Go the extra mile and make brush some Garlic Butter on your bread. Because if there’s anything better than bread, it’s Garlic Bread. Enjoy!
- 4 Chef Shamy Garlic Butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into coins
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste.
- 4 T flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups milk
- 1½ cups wild rice
- 1 lb cooked chicken, shredded or cubed
- In a large pot, melt Garlic Butter over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, celery, mushrooms, and oregano. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook 3-5 minutes.
- Add flour and stir to combine. Cook 1-2 minutes, then gradually add the chicken stock while whisking. Add milk and rice. Bring to a boil, and cook 15-20 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Add cooked chicken and stir to combine. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve with Garlic Bread.