There’s nothing better than a juicy, flavorful, moist, roasted chicken. And there’s nothing worse than a dry, bland one. Luckily, this recipe is perfect!
I’ll be honest, if I need a whole chicken, I often go to the store and buy one. It saves time, and I don’t have to worry about it. But now that we’ve made one, I’ll never buy one again! It was SO easy, didn’t actually take that long, and tasted so much better than anything from the store– even the rotisserie kind!
I’ve got two words for you: garlic and herbs.
Garlic Butter is a natural choice to help flavor chicken, which is a meat without a ton of flavor. Fresh Churned by Chef Shamy is the best– it’s full of garlic flavor and already has the addition of basil– so adding more herbs is a no-brainer.
I like basting in butter, because butter has so much more flavor than oil. We only use half the Garlic Butter initially. The rest we brush after the chicken has been cooking about half an hour. It adds just a little more flavor to do it that way.
The herbs in this recipe are simple but pack a punch. We used dried thyme, dried basil, and dried oregano. And of course, plenty of salt and pepper (though those aren’t herbs). There’s a lot of them– they definitely cover the chicken! But it adds so much flavor, and compliments the Garlic Butter really well.
You’ll also notice that we stick half a lemon into the chicken’s cavity. It adds flavorful as well as keeps the meat moist. When the chicken is cooked, you can squeeze some of the juice over the meat for an extra pop!
- 1 whole chicken
- ½ cup Fresh Churned Garlic Butter, melted
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ lemon
- Preheat oven 350° F
- Place chicken in a roasting pan.
- Brush ½ of the Garlic Butter over the chicken, then season with thyme, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper. Cover as much of the chicken as possible.
- Put lemon into the cavity of the chicken, then bake at 350° for 60-90 minutes. Baste with the rest of the Garlic Butter after 30 minutes.
- Bake until internal temperature reaches 165° F and juices run clear. Cook time will vary based on size of chicken.
- Cover with foil and allow to rest 20 minutes, then serve.