It’s almost that time. It’s always funny to me that we spend hours and hours, sometimes even days, cooking a beautiful Thanksgiving meal only to have it demolished in about 20 minutes. But it’s always worth it if there’s a lot of delicious food! A great place to start is with our French Onion Cornbread Stuffing!
Many times, the dinner table at Thanksgiving can cause some anticipation and stress. And I understand: turkey, potatoes, stuffing, veggies, bread, pies. So much to do, and the pressure is on to make certain that everything tastes amazing! Luckily, Chef Shamy Butters makes cooking easier and packs a punch of wonderful flavor!
The butter of choice here is Chef Shamy French Onion Butter with Asiago. French Onion is the perfect flavor for stuffing. This cornbread stuffing starts with onions and celery. Cook them down in some French Onion Butter and it adds an onion-y flavor that radiates in every bite of the stuffing. It’s probably my favorite stuffing I’ve ever eaten, partly because it was so easy to make. The other part was due to the cornbread!
Cornbread makes everything taste better. It’s sweet, soft, and moist. I had never thought to put use it in stuffing, but I’m glad I did. The result was amazing! There’s nothing worse than dry stuffing, and this cornbread stuffing was not at all dry! It was flavorful– really flavorful. The French Onion butter came through, along with the onions, celery, and sage. (Sage is one of my favorite herbs).
There are a lot of great cornbread recipes around. Here’s a recipe to get you started.
But honestly, I bought some pre-made cornbread from my local grocery store bakery. They will usually have some made up and sitting out, especially at this time of year. I’m a firm believer in home baking, and that things always taste better when you make them yourself. But this saves a little time, especially on a day that’s already so busy.
Let this French Onion Cornbread Stuffing become a family favorite at your Thanksgiving table! Enjoy!
Here’s a cornbread recipe that’s a little too good to use in stuffing: Strawberry Honey Butter Cornbread
- Cornbread (8x8 pan)
- 1 tub French Onion Butter (4.5 oz)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4-5 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ cup milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups chicken stock or broth
- 2-3 slices bread
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large pan. Add celery and onion and cook until soft. Add sage, poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cook another minute.
- In a separate bowl, crumble cornbread and bread slices that have been torn into small pieces, and mix.
- Whisk together milk and eggs and add to the breads. Stir in chicken broth.
- Stir in onion mixture. Mixture will be very moist.
- Transfer to a greased baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until it turns light brown on top.