Our Garlic Butter Chicken Picatta has become my go-to Italian recipe. It’s easy to make and absolutely delicious! A picatta is an Italian dish– meat sliced thin, dredged in flour, and served with a lemon butter sauce with capers.
Traditionally, a picatta would use veal, but chicken is more popular in America. The best thing about this dish, though, is the sauce. Oh, the sauce! But I’m getting ahead of myself.
We start by cutting a chicken breast in half crosswise. We want thin piece of chicken for this recipe. If you need to pound the chicken out to a consistent thickness, do it! Otherwise your chicken will cook unevenly.
Dredge the chicken in flour seasoned with salt, pepper, and lemon zest. Not a heavy dredge, but a light coating.
Cook the chicken in a pan with oil– about 5 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken from the pan and put a big dollop of our Fresh Churned Garlic Butter on each one. As the chicken rests, that beautiful garlic butter will melt and add even more flavor to the meat.
While the chicken is resting, make the sauce! Use the same pan you cooked the chicken in, so you get all the flavor that’s already in there.
Melt some more Garlic Butter and add a little flour– a basic roux. Slowly whisk in chicken broth and lemon juice. It won’t take long to thicken up. Add some fresh parsley and capers, then put the chicken into that sauce! Yum!
Serve it over some pasta, and you’ve got an amazing meal!
Easy Garlic Butter Chicken PicattaCourse: Dinner
½ cup flour
Zest of 1 lemon
Salt & pepper to taste
2 T cooking oil
2 T Fresh Churned Garlic Butter, to finish
1 chicken breast, cut in half crosswise
1 T flour
1 cup chicken broth
2 T lemon juice
3 T capers, drained
2 T fresh parsley chopped
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Whisk together flour, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Dredge the chicken lightly in the flour mixture then transfer to the pan. Cook 4-5 minutes each side, or until just cooked through.
- Remove chicken from the pan. Put a dollop of Garlic Butter on each breast and allow it to melt as the chicken rests.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce.
- Melt the Garlic Butter in the same pan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute. Gradually whisk in chicken broth and lemon juice. Cook, stirring occasionally 3 minutes, or until starting to thicken.
- Add capers and fresh parsley, then add chicken back into the pan.
- Spoon sauce over top of the chicken, and serve.
Get a Free Cookbook and receive regular updates about Chef Shamy Butter!