Dutch Apple Pie
Dutch Apple Pie is one of my favorites! And this recipe is simple and delicious!
So what makes an apple pie Dutch?
While not actually from Denmark, the traditional recipe is an apple pie baked in crust on the bottom, with a butter/sugar/walnut crumb topping.
Our isn’t exactly traditional– we’ve left out the walnuts. But the crumb crust is delicious! The crisp, buttery topping contrasts perfectly with the soft apples.
Speaking of which, let’s talk about the apples. You can’t have a good apple pie without good apples. I always start with a good apple– something that looks good and doesn’t turn to mush when baked. I usually go for Granny Smith, because they’ve got such a lovely flavor when baked.
Peel them and slice them, then mix them with the sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Adding a little lemon juice helps them not to brown, and offsets the sweetness a little bit.
Flour is important to help soak up some of juices that release when baked. Otherwise, they’ll run down and make the bottom crust soggy.
The topping is pretty easy– and we’ve got a secret weapon: Chef Shamy Cinnamon Honey Butter!
The Cinnamon Honey Butter adds a great cinnamon flavor to the crumb topping. It tastes absolutely divine when paired with the apples. In addition, using brown sugar instead of white adds a deeper flavor!
Make this once, and you’ll never want to have regular apple pie again!
Dutc Apple PieCourse: Dessert
2 pie crusts
8 cups cored, peeled, and sliced apples
½ cup sugar
¼ cup flour
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
1 T lemon juice
4 oz (½ cup) Chef Shamy Cinnamon Brown Sugar Honey Butter
1 cup flour
⅔ cup packed brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix apple slices with sugar, flour, cinnamon and lemon juice. Stir to evenly coat the apples. Let sit while you make the topping.
- To make the topping, use a pastry cutter to mix Cinnamon Honey Butter, flour, and brown sugar.
- Spoon apple mixture evenly between two 9 inch pie crusts. Add equal amounts of topping to each pie.
- Bake at 400° F for 45-50 minutes, or until apples are done and crumb topping is crisp.
- Allow to cool, then serve with vanilla ice cream.