Mac and Cheese
Ah, the classic pasta dish– a favorite for children and many adults. But many children (and adults) won’t eat their vegetables, so we decided to sneak some in. The result is the most delicious Roasted Vegetable Mac and Cheese– and you won’t even know how good it is for you!
Mac and cheese is meant to be a comfort food. So while we want it to be healthy, it still needs to be comforting. So we’re not skimping on the cheese here, don’t worry. After all, what’s mac and cheese if it’s not cheesy?
Making It Healthy
There are several ways we’ve made this recipe healthier.
The first is adding vegetables. We cut broccoli florets into small pieces, and tossed it with corn and small cubes of carrot. Here’s the important step: brush them generously with Fresh Churned Garlic Butter, and roast them for 15 minutes.. The Garlic Butter makes them taste absolutely delicious.
This recipe calls for whole wheat pasta, a healthier option to regular. I don’t think it tastes that different, but with the garlic veggies and cheese sauce, you really can’t tell.
We also swap out heavy cream for half and half in the cheese sauce. It cuts a few calories while still keeping a rich and creamy cheese sauce.
Help Your Kids Eat Their Veggies
We’ve had many stories over the years of our butters helping kids eat healthier. We’ve had countless messages from parents, thanking us. Once they put some Garlic Butter on vegetables, their kids suddenly start eating them!
If you live in a house with picky eaters, let Chef Shamy help you get the nutrition you need.
Roasted Vegetable Mac and CheeseCourse: Dinner
2 medium carrots, diced small
1 cup corn
1 cup broccoli florets, cut into small pieces.
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 pound elbow macaroni
½ cup half-and-half
½ cup milk
12 slices American cheese
4 oz Colby Jack cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- In a large bowl, mix together carrots, corn, and broccoli. Add melted Garlic Butter and toss to coat evenly. Spread vegetables out onto a greased baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast vegetables at 425° for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil, and cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Then, start the sauce. In a large saucepan, mix together half and half, milk, American cheese, and Colby Jack cheese over medium heat. Stir until cheese is melted and mixture is thickened and creamy.
- Add cooked pasta and vegetables, and stir to combine.
Get a Free Cookbook and receive regular updates about Chef Shamy Butter!