Everyone likes pizza! Of course, everyone has their own opinions about what the best toppings are.
One of my favorites is caramelized onions. Actually, caramelized onions are delicious regardless of what you put them on, but they’re especially good on pizza.
Caramelizing onions is pretty easy. Just cook them down until they’re nice and brown. But the secret to good tasting ones is using Chef Shamy Garlic Butter! The garlic adds the perfect flavor to the already flavorful onion– you’ll never do it any other way!
Yes, you could just have an onion pizza. But I like to load my pizzas up with as many toppings as possible. This includes lots of cheese.
Because, say it with me: you can never have too much cheese!
Spinach and bacon are the perfect ingredients to compliment! Fresh green spinach is a thing of beauty. Putting it on the pizza raw ensures that it’s not overcooked and bitter.
Bacon– well, I don’t know if I need to convince anyone of the virtues of bacon. But the saltiness and crunch really helps lift your taste buds against the earthy spinach and sweet onions.
Pizza is a great dinner because it’s quick. This recipe can be made in under 30 minutes, if you have pizza crust already made.
There’s no shame in buying a pizza dough from the store. There are a lot of options nowadays, and you can even avoid getting the tubes if you want. The refrigerated section often has some good dough, and sometimes, you can find a dough made right in your bakery.
Caramelized Onion Spinach Bacon PizzaCourse: Dinner
1 large red onion, sliced thin
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 lb pizza dough homemade or store bought
1 cup pizza sauce
2 cups mozzarella cheese , shredded
8 oz bacon, cooked and crumbled
4 oz baby spinach, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 425° F
- In a large skillet, melt Garlic Butter over medium heat. Add thinly sliced onion and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Saute 7-10 minutes, or until well caramelized.
- Meanwhile, prepare your pizza dough by rolling it out on a lightly greased pizza pan or sheet pan.
- Top with sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Add caramelized onions, bacon, and spinach and spread evenly over the pizza.
- Bake at 425° for 15-20 minutes, or until crust is golden and done.
- Let sit for 5 minutes before cutting, then serve.