Breakfast in B(r)e(a)d
Breakfast in Bread is even better than Breakfast in Bed!
The idea for this recipe came while I was making eggs on toast one morning. I love eggs on toast; it’s simple and a filling breakfast.
Then I thought, “What if you put the eggs inside the bread?” Not like a sandwich, like a bread bowl.
And Voila! Breakfast in Bread was born.
This recipe has pimped up the eggs a little by adding mushrooms, spinach, onion, and bacon. And it’s amped up the bread by making it Garlic Bread!
Seriously, your morning meal will never be the same.
Garlic Bread Bowls
It’s pretty straightforward. Generously brush Chef Shamy Garlic Butter on the insides of the bowl, and toast it in the oven. The stuff it full of whatever you want.
In this case, it’s a delicious egg scramble.
Here’s a couple tips:
Under cook the eggs! Scrambled eggs should always be a little under cooked anyway, because they’ll continue to cook out of the pan. But especially here; the filled bread bowls go in the oven for a few minutes to melt the provolone cheese on top. Over cooked eggs are rubbery and gross.
Change up the ingredients however you want. Extra bacon. No mushrooms. Tomatoes instead of spinach. Whatever you want. Make it your own, according to your preference.
Breakfast in Bread is a perfect morning meal, in the comfort of your own kitchen, or on the go!
- 6 dinner rolls
- 3 T Chef Shamy Parmesan Basil Garlic Butter, melted
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped Mushroom
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 6 eggs
- 6 strips cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 cup shredded Provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Cut off the tops of the dinner rolls, and hollow out the insides to make a bowl. Brush the insides with Garlic Butter. Toast at 350° for 5-10 minutes, or until the edges of the bread is slightly browned.
- Meanwhile, spray a skillet with non-stick spray. Cook onions on medium heat, until translucent. Add mushroom and cook 1 minutes more.
- Add spinach and eggs, and gently stir until the eggs have scrambled. Don't forget to season with salt and pepper!
- Crumbled cooked bacon into the egg mixture.
- Divide eggs evenly between the bread bowls. Top with shredded Provolone cheese.
- Bake at 350° for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- Serve immediately.