Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken Pot Pie is a classic American dish that you’ve probably had before. It’s a creamy chicken and vegetable filling stuffed into a crust. Traditionally, it would look like a regular pie– all the filling encased in the shell.
We’ve done a little twist to our pot pie that’s absolutely delicious! It’s all the fun and flavor with worrying about having to make a pastry! Our secret? Biscuits!
We’ve ditched the pie crust and replaced it with biscuits! These can be a homemade family recipe or store bought. We used the biscuits in a can. If I had some extra time to prepare for dinner, I would whip up a quick batch. But some days, I wouldn’t have time. Do whatever you can/want to!
Once the filling is inside the baking dish, put your biscuits on top and throw it in the oven. Bake until the biscuits are done, and you’re ready!
It’s a shorter cooking time that a traditional pie would be, so that means dinner is on the table faster! And that’s always cause for celebration.
We start by sautéing onion and celery in some Chef Shamy Garlic Butter. That’s the start to many a good dish, and this one is no exception. Once they’re cooked, set them aside and add some more Garlic Butter to the pan.
Add some flour to make a roux, then some chicken broth and milk to make a simple creamy sauce. Once it’s thickened, you can add peas and carrots. Use frozen, it’s easier. Then add your cooked chicken and your onions/celery. We used the meat from a rotisserie chicken we had leftover in the fridge.
Don’t forget to season with salt and pepper– the chicken broth will have some saltiness, but you’ll need more.
Once the filling is ready, pour it into your baking dish, top it with biscuits, and bake it!
Biscuit Chicken Pot PieCourse: Dinner
1 onion, chopped fine
2 stalks celery, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
½ cup flour
2 cups milk
2 cups chicken broth
½ tsp dried thyme
1 cup frozen peas and carrots
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
1 refrigerated biscuits (8 biscuits)
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a large pan, melt 2 T Garlic Butter over medium heat. Add onions and celery and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Transfer vegetables to a dish.
- Over medium heat, add 4 T Garlic Butter to the pan. Once melted, whisk in the flour and cook 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk and chicken broth, and cook until thickened.
- Add thyme, onions/celery, frozen peas and carrots, and cooked chicken. Stir to combine. Cook 3-5 minutes to warm through. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer mixture to a greased 9×13 baking dish. Top with raw biscuits. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes, or until biscuits are done.
- Remove from oven and serve.
Get a Free Cookbook and receive regular updates about Chef Shamy Butter!