Baked Asparagus Fries have become my new favorite snack! They’re absolutely delicious, and they’re so much better for you a regular potato fry.
First of all, asparagus is much more nutritious than potatoes– and second, it’s much healthier to bake something instead of frying it. The nice thing, though, is that baking can still give you that crispy-crunchy outside that you expect from a fry.
Asparagus is one of my favorite vegetables, and they’re pretty easy to prepare. But there is a little trick to making their preparation a little easier. The bottom of a stalk of asparagus is woody and inedible. The ends will naturally snap off, if you bend the bottom of the stalk. It’s actually kind of fun to do it!
Overcooked asparagus is not very pleasant to eat, so make sure you keep to the cooking time on the recipe. There might be a temptation to leave the fries in the oven longer to get a deeper crunch, but your asparagus will overcook and become mushy.
The hardest thing about this recipe is breading the asparagus. So let’s talk through it.
Get three bowls or containers, something that the asparagus stalk can fully lie down in. Fill one with flour. Fill one with eggs mixed with our Fresh Churned Garlic Butter. Then fill the third with a mixture of Panko breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese.
Coat the asparagus in flour.
Then roll it in the Garlic Butter-egg mixture.
Then press it into the breadcrumb mixture to cover it.
It’s that simple! You can use your hands, a fork, or some tongs. It’s messy, but what’s life without a little mess?
- ½ cup flour
- 4 T Fresh Churned Garlic Butter
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 bunch asparagus
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- In a long bowl, add flour. In a second bowl, mix together melted Garlic Butter and eggs. Use a third bowl to mix together breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese.
- Snap the ends off of the asparagus stalks. Bread them by coating them in flour, then the egg mixture, then the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place on a greased baking sheet.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake at 425° for 12-15 minutes.
- Serve immediately.