Our newest sandwich is a Rosemary Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese! We’ve talked about grilled cheese a lot. You might even say it’s our specialty. And this is a good one!
A grilled cheese needs to be cheesy– and so it’s important that whatever you’re adding to the middle of the sandwich doesn’t detract from the cheese. Luckily this sandwich strikes a perfect balance. It’s all because of the caramelized onions!
Onions become caramelized when they’re cooked down for a long time. Let talk through it.
Melt some of our Fresh Churned Garlic Butter in a pan. Add some thinly sliced onions, and some dried rosemary. The sweetness of the onions combines with the flavor of garlic and the fragrant hint of the rosemary. Cook for somewhere around 10 minutes. The onions will become soft and brown–caramelized.
Put the onions in the middle of the sandwich along with some gruyere cheese. Gruyere is a hard cheese that is a little sweet, and a little salty. It melts really well, and it tastes amazing with the onions, and the extra Garlic Butter on the outside of the bread.
Rosemary Caramelized Onion Grilled CheeseCourse: Lunch, Dinner
- Melt 3 T of Garlic Butter over medium heat. Add onion and rosemary and cook, stirring occasionally for 8-10 minutes, or until caramelized.
- Brush 1/2 T of Garlic Butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Place butter side down on a skillet. Place a slice of cheese on each slice of bread.
- Add caramelized onion to two of the pieces of bread.
- Cook until bread is toasted and cheese is melty, then turn over to make 2 sandwiches.
- Serve immediately.