Pancetta Frittata – by Jake Davis
I have made so many quiches and frittatas that you’d think I would be an expert on them. However, as I’m self taught, there’s always something to learn and I was curious what the difference was between the two, so I did some investigating. Now I always thought the difference is that one has a crust and the other does not. However, according to cookingclarified the difference is that quiches are primarily added to a custard base of eggs and cream and then baked while frittatas have little to no cream and are usually started on the stovetop and then put in the oven to finish baking.
So, technically this recipe is a quiche recipe because it has cream, however, it was passed down to me by my father as his “frittata” recipe and it is begun on the stove, but finished in the oven. So, that being said, I am going to call it a frittata recipe from here on out.
One of the great things about this kind of recipe is that there are so many options! What veggies do you like? In the video I made, I used bell peppers, onions, spinach, and pancetta. I’m not the biggest fan of bell peppers (I was making this for someone), so if I were to make one for myself, I’d probably use tomatoes, spinach, and bacon. Or maybe you want to go vegetarian, then omit any meat and throw in some broccoli. Therefore, choose what you want, there are so many possibilities! One of these days, I’ll get around to making a pear, gruyere cheese, and bacon. Don’t knock it before you try it!
- 2 oz Chef Shamy Parmesan Basil Garlic Butter
- 12 large eggs
- 5 oz Pancetta
- ½ cup diced onion
- ½ cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- 1 cup diced bell peppers
- 1 cup shredded spinach
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp each salt, pepper
- 12" Cast Iron Skillet
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large bowl combine in this order cream, salt and pepper, eggs. Then mix in cheeses.
- In a hot skillet, melt Garlic Butter (1/2 tub) and then add diced peppers and onions and cook down until just tender. Add pancetta and cook for 1 minute then add spinach and stir until coated
- Add mixture from bowl and shake the pan so it makes it's way into the other ingredients
- Place in oven and bake for about 35 minutes or until the center doesn't jiggle when you shake the skillet
- Let cool slightly and serve with a pie server