Corned Beef and Cabbage
Corned Beef and Cabbage is a classic St. Patrick’s Day recipe– and I look forward to it every year! I wondered why this tradition exists, so I did a little research, and it’s quite complicated. Feel free to read a short article if you’re interested.
Regardless of the authenticity or lack thereof, this dish is one of my favorite. The beef is tender and succulent, with well flavored potatoes, cabbage, and onions.
The use of the Instant Pot makes it even easier!
Let’s talk through the recipe.
Corned beef should always be rinsed– it removes the excess salt, which is important. You always want to be in control of the salt in your recipes.
Add your beef to the Instant Pot. Add veggies on top of that– onion, carrots, potatoes, and cabbage. Now comes the flavors: bay leaves, beef broth, and beer! Don’t leave out the beer. All the alcohol cooks out and it leaves a deep, rich flavor.
Of course, we can’t forget the secret ingredient: a generous dollop of our Fresh Churned Garlic Butter! It adds great flavor and some much needed fat.
St. Patrick’s Day
St. Patrick’s Day is a fun holiday– let this easy recipe become part of your traditions!
I’d also recommend our Irish Beef Stew— it’s really good!
- 2-4 lbs corned beef brisket
- 1 onion, quartered
- 3 bay leaves
- ½ lb baby carrots
- 2 lbs red potatoes, halved or quartered
- ½ cabbage, cut into wedges
- 6 T Chef Shamy Garlic Butter
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups beer
- Place corned beef in the bottom of the Instant Pot. Add onion, bay leaves, carrots, potatoes, and cabbage.
- Top with Garlic Butter, then pour beef broth and beer over top. Make sure the liquid doesn't go above the fill line.
- Close lid and cook at High Pressure for 75 minutes for 2 pounds, 80 for 3 pounds, or 85 for 4 pounds. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 15-20 minutes, then release the rest.
- Slice the corned beef and serve with vegetables.