Eggs in a Basket?
Eggs in a Basket. AKA Eggs in a Hole, or Popeyes. It’s a great breakfast, and can be eaten on the go.
If you’ve never heard of them, you might not be alone. But give them a try! They’re pretty straightforward:
Use a glass or biscuit cutter to punch a circle out from the middle of a piece of bread. Put the bread on a frying pan and crack an egg right into that circle. As you fry the egg, the bread will toast! The egg is in a little bread basket! How fun!
We’ve pimped our recipe up by using Chef Shamy Garlic Butter. We spread a little on the bread, and it adds a kick of flavor. Absolutely delicious. Add a pinch of Parmesan cheese, and it’s even better.
We’ve also modified this recipe to make it a little more friendly to a large family. If using the pan method described above, you can only make one or tow at a time. Using a sheet pan and baking them in the oven allows for maximum production in a short amount of time.
An oven can be a tricky way to cook eggs. It all depends on how set you want your yolk, so keep an eye on them.
I prefer a runny yolk. You can use the bread to soak it up. And when it’s bread with Garlic Butter, it’s even more amazing.
Delicious breakfasts like this really make me happy. Often, we take a lot of unhealthy shortcuts in the name of convenience. Eggs are a great way to start the day, since they’re packed with nutrients.
And when it only takes 5-10 minutes to make, that’s even better!
Sheet Pan Eggs in a BasketCourse: Breakfast
6 slices bread
6 T shredded Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 T fresh chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Use a narrow glass or a biscuit cutter to make holes in the middle of each slice of bread. Butter bread and holes with Garlic Butter.
- Place bread and holes on a greased sheet pan.
- Crack an egg into each of the holes.
- Sprinkle 1 Tablespoon of Parmesan cheese over each slice. Salt and pepper the egg to taste.
- Bake at 400° for 3-6 minutes, depending on how runny you want the yolk.
- Garnish with fresh chopped chives. Serve immediately.
Get a Free Cookbook and receive regular updates about Chef Shamy Butter!