You’re going to find excuses to eat these Homemade Garlic Croutons every chance you can!
A crouton is a piece of bread that has either been sautéed or re-baked. They’re usually flavored, and they add a lovely crunchy texture to salads and soups.
You can also eat them handfuls at a time. Excuse me while I do just that.
Croutons are really easy to make. You can use whatever bread you have on hand. We had a nice loaf of thick cut french bread hanging around from some other recipes. This recipe is a great way to use bread that might be a little stale.
Cut the bread into chunks. The size is also up to you, but I prefer something that is bite size or a little smaller. In a salad, you want the crouton to be small enough to fit it your mouth with some of the veggies.
Spread those cubes of bread on a baking sheet, and paint them with our Fresh Churned Garlic Butter. It’s a perfect way to season these croutons. It’s got a great garlic flavor, and the butter helps the bread to crisp in the oven, creating the perfect crunchy texture!
We used these croutons in a salad, as you can see from the photos. So let’s talk about dressing for a moment. It’s easy to buy salad dressing from the store, but many times, they’re unhealthy and full of calories.
Making your own dressing is really easy! Especially the one we used. It’s simply olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper! Just as easy to make as the croutons!
- For the Croutons:
- 4 slices of bread
- 2 T Fresh Churned Garlic Butter
- For the Salad
- 3 cups romaine lettuce leaves, torn
- 3 cups mixed greens
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 to 6 radishes, sliced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cucumber, peeled, and diced
- For the Dressing:
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3-4 T balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- To make the croutons, preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Cut bread into cubes, and spread on a greased baking sheet. Paint with melted Garlic Butter. Bake at 375° F for 15-20 minutes, tossing every 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
- To make the salad, put romaine, greens, tomatoes, radishes, carrots, cucumbers, and cooled croutons in a large salad bowl. Toss.
- To make the dressing, whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper. Dress salad according to your preference.