Sweet Potato Stew
Our Lentil Sweet Potato Stew is healthy, delicious, and simple to make! It’s absolutely packed with flavor! There are so many spices in here, and they all bring something to the table!
Sweet potatoes are the main ingredient in this dish. But there’s also spinach, tomatoes, chickpeas, and lentils. All of these ingredients have two things in common: they’re all nutritious, and they all absorb any flavor you throw at them.
So let’s talk about flavor.
We’re starting where all recipes should start: onion sautéed in some of our Fresh Churned Garlic Butter. It’s such a great flavor to start with– a good base. Then we get our sweet potatoes into the pot and get the party started.
Here’s what goes in: cumin, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon, red pepper flakes, ginger, salt, and pepper. It’s a delicious blend of spices. It’s got warmth and a little bit of heat.
Stir everything together and add your next ingredients.
Add some chickpeas and tomatoes, then some vegetable broth. You’re welcome to use chicken or beef, but we wanted to keep the recipe vegetarian. Once it’s boiling, add some uncooked lentils. Simmer the soup for about 20 minutes– until the sweet potatoes are tender. It should take about that long for the lentils to cook.
Then add your spinach leaves and lemon juice!
We recommend serving this soup with a dollop of sour cream and fresh cilantro. Enjoy!
- 4 T Fresh Churned Garlic Butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1½ pounds sweet potatoes, cubed
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 15 oz can chickpeas, drained
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups uncooked lentils
- 6 cups baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 2 T lemon juice
- Sour cream and cilantro, to garnish
- In a large pot, melt Garlic Butter over medium high heat. Add onion and sweet potatoes. Add all spices: cumin, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon, red pepper flakes, ginger, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine and saute 5 minutes.
- Add chickpeas, diced tomatoes, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil.
- Add lentils, and simmer 20 minutes, until sweet potatoes are soft and lentils are cooked. Add spinach and lemon juice.
- Cook 2 minutes until spinach is wilted.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and fresh cilantro.