Butter Chicken is a wonderful Indian dish that is full of spices and, of course, butter! And we know butter! You might say it’s the thing we know best!
Traditionally, butter would be used at the very end– it would be stirred in and then served.
We went a little bit backwards, and started with butter– our Fresh Churned Garlic Butter. And boy, was the result amazing. It was so delicious!
The Spice Mixture
We start with onions in Garlic Butter– there’s nothing better, no better way to start a dish.
Once the chicken is added, and coated with the butter and onions, we add the spice mix. There’s a lot of ingredients here, and they’re all important!
I like adding them all to the tomato paste first because it ensures even distribution of flavor throughout every piece of meat.
Here’s the list: ginger, a must for Indian cooking. Garam masala, a type of curry powder. Chili, turmeric, cayenne, salt and pepper. All these come together in beautiful harmony mixed together with the rich tomato paste.
Yes, this is an Instant Pot Meal! Using a pressure cooker makes it possible to develop a lot of flavor in a short period of time. I like the Instant Pot because you can do everything in it. You can saute the onions in Garlic Butter, then switch it to cook the chicken perfectly!
If you don’t have one, get one! It’s worth it!
- 1 onion, diced small
- 3 T Chef Shamy Garlic Butter
- 3 lbs skinless boneless chicken breast, diced into 2 inch pieces
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 tsp ginger
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 cup water
- Put Garlic Butter and onion in Instant Pot on SAUTE. Saute for 3 minutes, then add chicken.
- Stir to coat.
- Add tomato paste spice mixture and stir to combine.
- Add water and turn to POULTRY
- Put on the lid and cook for 25 minutes. Release pressure.
- Take off lid and hit SAUTE. Cook for 10 minutes to let the sauce reduce and thicken.
- Serve with rice.