Zucchini Carrot Muffins
Our Healthy Zucchini Carrot Mini Muffins are absolutely delicious! I know what you’re thinking: either they’re not delicious or they’re not as healthy as advertised. And I get it: we see so many “healthy” recipes these days that are still full of sugar or “delicious” recipes that taste a little too healthy.
Fortunately, you’re in luck with these mini muffins. They’re actually healthy, which loads of vegetables, no added sugar, and whole wheat flour. And they actually taste good — perfect for a breakfast on the go or an after-school snack!
Let’s talk through the recipe.
At first glance, this looks to be a pretty standard muffin batter, but you’ll soon notice a number of healthy substitutions. Right off the bat, our dry ingredients start with whole wheat flour. Sometimes whole wheat flour can make a muffin dense and claggy, but the moisture from the veggies prevents that. Mix the healthy flour with cinnamon, salt, and baking soda.
The wet ingredients start with our Fresh Churned Rich and Creamy Honey Butter. It’s smooth, luxurious, and sweet. Mix in some honey (no added sugar!!), egg, and vanilla. Then, per usual, combine the wet ingredients with the dry.
Take care not to over mix the batter, especially as you fold in the mix-ins: shredded carrots, shredded zucchini, and raisins. All three add flavor and nutrition, as well as some fun texture.
But the benefit of adding veggies to a muffin is the same as the risk: moisture.
Don’t add the vegetables without squeezing as much water out of them as humanly possible. You can use a cheesecloth, paper towels, or a colander. It doesn’t matter how you do it, as long as you do.
Bake the muffins and you’re done! Enjoy!
Healthy Zucchini Carrot Muffins
1 cup white whole wheat flour
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1.5 oz Chef Shamy Rich and Creamy Honey Butter, melted
½ cup honey
1 large egg
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 cup finely grated zucchini
½ cup finely grated carrot
½ cup raisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda. In a separate bowl, stir together melted Honey Butter, honey, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir together until just combined.
- Fold in zucchini, carrots, and raisins until evenly distributed.
- Divide mixture evenly between the wells of a greased mini muffin tin.
- Bake at 350° F for 10-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack. Cool completely, then serve.
Get a Free Cookbook and receive regular updates about Chef Shamy Butter!