We have a lot of friends who live the keto lifestyle. Our savory butters are keto friendly, so we’re always trying to come up with recipes that fit the diet. Our new Garlic Butter Keto Bagels are delicious and easy to make!
Keto is short for ketosis, which is a state in which your body will burn fat instead of carbs or sugar. Those on the keto diet are trying to put and then keep their bodies in ketosis, which means they eat very few carbs and lots of fat.
This recipe starts with almond flour. Almond flour (or ground almonds) is simply that: almonds that are ground so fine it looks like flour. It’s a great low carb (and gluten free) substitute for all purpose flour, and is used in a lot of keto recipes. Mix the almond flour with some baking powder.
Next we turn to cheese. Cheese is also a staple of the keto lifestyle, as it’s a flavorful, high-fat food. This recipe calls for cream cheese and mozzarella cheese. Put them in a microwave-safe bowl, and cook in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds, until the cheese are melted and combined. It should only take two or three minutes.
Now, add this to the almond flour. It can be tough to mix, but it’s even tougher if you don’t do it quickly. Once the cheese isn’t melty anymore it becomes much more difficult.
Then you’ll mix in a couple eggs, and voila! You have a dough!
Divide your dough into 6 pieces and roll them out into long “snakes.” They need to be long enough to join the ends, creating that classic circular bagel shape. Pinch the ends together so they don’t come apart when baking.
Now, for the magic: brush liberally with some melted Fresh Churned Garlic Butter. It adds great flavor, and extra fat too!
Bake, then serve. You can serve with more Garlic Butter, cream cheese, or use for a sandwich.
Garlic Butter Keto BagelsCourse: Sides
2 cup almond flour
1 T baking powder
3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 oz. cream cheese
3 T Fresh Churned Garlic Butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together almond flour and baking powder.
- In a separate microwave safe bowl, combine the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese. Microwave, stirring every 30 seconds, until cheeses are melted and combined. Combine almond flour mixture and cheese mixture and mix. Add eggs and stir until fully combined.
- Divide dough into 6 portions, then roll each portion out into a long strip, then make into a circle. Press edges together to complete the bagel shape.
- Place on a greased baking sheet, and brush with Garlic Butter.
- Bake at 400° F for about 20 minutes, or until done.
- Cool 10 minutes, then serve with butter, cream cheese, etc.