Lasagna Soup is comforting, warm, and hearty. It’s perfect for a cold day– and it’s easy to make!
Pasta dishes– lasagna specifically — are comfort food 101. But lasagna can be time consuming to make; it’s an involved process to get all the layers. But putting it into soup form is much easier, without sacrificing any of that delicious flavor you expect.
Let’s talk through the recipe.
Chicken and Veggies
We’ll start by cooking pieces of chicken breast. Our recipe calls for cooking oil– only because chicken takes longer to cook than many other things, and we don’t want the garlic in the butter to burn. Once the chicken is cooked through, remove it from the pot. Then comes our Fresh Churned Garlic Butter!
Onions, carrots, and zucchini are sauteed in the Garlic Butter, creating a great base of flavor. Next we’ll add some flour to start a roux.
Chicken broth and half and half are next, creating a creamy soup that just like a lasagna.
At this point, we’ll have cooked some lasagna noodles. Once they’re cooled, cut them into 2 inch pieces. We did it with a knife so they were even, but you can tear them in you’d rather.
Add cheese to your creamy soup– cream cheese and Parmesan. When everything’s melted and mixed together, add your cooked noodles, cooked chicken, some spinach, and fresh basil.
Voila! Dinner is served!
- 2 T cooking oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 T [u][url href=”https://chefshamy.com/all-natural-dairy-butters/garlic-butter-with-parmesan-and-basil/” target=”_blank”]Chef Shamy Garlic Butter[/url][/u]
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 4 T flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 6 cups half and half
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 4 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 8 lasagna noodles, broken into 2-inch pieces and cooked til tender
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- Fresh basil, to garnish
- Heat oil over medium high heat in a large pot. Add chicken, season with salt and pepper, and cook 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it’s cooked through. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Add Garlic Butter, and melt over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, and zucchini.
- Saute 5 minutes, until onions are translucent. Add flour and stir to coat veggies. Cook 1 minute, then slowly stir in chicken broth, half and half, and Italian seasoning.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Simmer 5-10 minutes, until vegetable are tender. Add cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper (to taste). Stir until cheeses are melted.
- Add the chicken back into the pot along with the cooked lasagna noodle pieces. Add spinach and cook 2 minutes.
- Turn off heat, and serve. Garnish with fresh basil.