Chicken Muligatawny StewCourse: Dinner
4 -5 large fresh garlic cloves, minced
1 whole grated onion, diced
1 T fresh ginger, chopped
4 T butter;
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp cummin
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
Blanched almonds (slivered or sliced)
1/4 cup flour
1 T corn starch
4 lbs Chicken Breast (cubed)
2 T vegetable oil
1/4 cup white wine
3 T white wine vinegar
4 cups chicken stock
Chopped fresh cilantro
2 fresh limes, quartered
- Bake almonds at 300 degrees for 10 minutes or until brown. Allow to cool. Use mini-food processor or coffee grinder to grind almonds to powder.
- Saute garlic, ginger and onions in butter until onions are clear. Stir in all spices, then add vinegar, white wine, 1/4 cup almond powder, 1/4 cup flour, 1 cup chicken stock. Turn heat off and allow to cool slightly.
- Heat skillet with vegetable oil, and brown chicken pieces, seasoning generously with salt and pepper. (Dashes of all of the above spices can be sprinkled over the chicken for a zestier version.) Set aside cooked chicken pieces.
- Transfer onion/garlic spice mixture to a blender and liquify. Combine all ingredients and remaining chicken stock and simmer 15 minutes or until ready to serve.
- Serving Suggestion: Ladle Mulligatawny into soup bowls. Spoon a serving of rice into the center. Sprinkle chopped cilantro over the top and squeeze the lime over
Get a Free Cookbook and receive regular updates about Chef Shamy Butter!